With so much to see and do, along with picture perfect weather – it is no wonder tourists and visitors worldwide flock to Santa Monica and the Hollywood area to experience the true meaning of fun in the sun! Of all the places I have traveled to – why do I choose Southern California as my family friendly travel hot spot? Location, location, location! Centrally located between Los Angeles and San Diego, Hollywood is situated well between two other major cities that could offer additional exploratory opportunities! With all kinds of shops, restaurants, and activities – it is positioned to offer excellent opportunities for a family to be out and about, while enjoying California’s comfortable outdoor weather. I am a Las Vegas resident, and love how close of a drive (4 hours) Hollywood is from Las Vegas and many other states (including Utah, Nevada, and Arizona). And because it is such a short drive, it makes a weekend getaway with a car full of kids much more tolerable! Hollywood does not require several days to vacation and enjoy – you can spend a weekend away and still afford the time to do so many wonderful and fun activities!
Family fun doesn’t have to stop there. I’m a huge fan of taking the children to wax museums, because of the creativity and life-like exhibits. I always try to add something fun that children can learn during our family vacations. We recently visited a fun tourist attraction that kids (of all ages) enjoyed…
The Hollywood Wax Museum!
The first thing we did when we arrived was take a fun family photo with the staff photographer. We had such a great time checking out all the fun life-like exhibits. The kids enjoyed Nacho Libre (one of their favorite all-time movies) and pretending to be part of the Titanic – can we say, “I’ll never let go, Jack. I’ll never let go.” And my husband and I loved seeing some classics from I Love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie, and Forest Gump. There was some major silliness going on at the Hollywood Wax Museum, because we were able to stand so close to the exhibits and take photos with them together. It was a great family affair, and I loved that the amount of time we spent in there wasn’t too long or too short (we spent approximately one and a half hours there). A definite must-do if you’re ever visiting the Hollywood area of California!
About the Hollywood Wax Museum and why YOU should visit:
- Hollywood Wax Museum in Hollywood opened in 1965 and is located in the building that back in the early 1930s housed The Embassy Club, an exclusive entertainment industry nightclub.
- Each wax figure is a piece of art. Over time and currently, the Hollywood Wax Museum has worked with numerous sculptors, mold makers, and finishers to create life-like wax figures. Stylistic differences occur depending on which artists crafted the figures.
- Hollywood Wax Museum is the longest-running wax museum in the United States. It has been the most visited indoor attraction in Hollywood since 1965. Plans are in the works to celebrate the Museum’s 50th Anniversary in 2015.
- Hollywood Wax Museum was the first wax museum to dedicate its entire show to Hollywood, celebrities and pop culture.
- Hollywood Wax Museum was recognized last year as a “Hero of Hollywood”. The company that founded the attraction and continues to own and operate it, as well as expand the brand, is known for its integrity, relationship building and community service. It is a unique American success story—from one man’s vision comes an icon of Hollywood and tribute to entertainment. The company now has three generations of the founder’s family working in it. The neon sign on Hollywood Blvd that appears in many Hollywood montages has 17 stars, representing each of his children and grandchildren. You can also find a tribute to him in Pigeon Forge. The side of the Hollywood Wax Museum says Sundher Building (est. 1922), the year of Spoony Singh’s birth.
- Hollywood Wax Museum was designed for interaction. Rather than walking by and just looking, visitors are encouraged to walk into the open sets and take photos with the figures.
As a tourist and traveler, I think the one thing I appreciate most about Hollywood Wax Museum is that they continually survey guests about their favorite figures and those they wish to see in the Museum. The least favorites are replaced regularly and the Museums are updated frequently to give visitors the most fun experience possible. The mission is to have fun in a unique environment, to spend some time admiring people you love, learning something about them, and having the opportunity to come up with funny, creative, and sweet poses for pictures that will bring you great memories.
Be sure to check them out on Facebook by going to the Hollywood Wax Museum Facebook page.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.