In continuing the new travel series, Weekend Getaway, this week we're putting the spotlight on one of the favorite places to escape for a weekend during summer; the Hamptons. Although the Hamptons are a summer favorite for many, a lot of people don't realize there is so much more to it then just flash, celebrities, swanky parties and a over crowded Jitney bus. Depending on which area you're visiting, you are likely to see a lot of the aforementioned. However, if you're getting out of town for a quieter, calmer weekend, there are no shortage of activities. The surrounding towns are not only beautiful; filled with serene beaches, and colorful farm stands, they can be less crowded, more tangible, and serve up a perfect summer weekend getaway. Quogue, a town which is an incorporated village in Southampton serves up exactly that. Read on to see why you should check out Quogue this summer, and 5 things to make your weekend a memorable one.
1. Spend a day exploring the yard sales around town. As a young girl, spending summers in Southampton with my mother, I have a distinct memory of our early weekend mornings. She would grab a Dans Paper, and meticulously highlight all the listed yard and garage sales, with a sort of innate ability for thrifting that made it seem more like a talent, and less like being a pack rat. Nevertheless, today I still love the idea of driving around the area, stopping at people's homes to peruse their junk. In the Hamptons on summer weekends, there are no shortage of these, so grab a Dans Paper and get to it, who knows what treasure you'll uncover.
2. Try a Lobster Roll. Because nothing says summer more then eating some clam chowder, and lobster overlooking a bay, and boats. This delicious lobster roll sandwich from Canal Cafe doesn't only deliver taste, it delivers the perfect atmosphere.
3. Go antiquing. There are some amazing antique markets and stores throughout the Hamptons, especially in Quogue and surrounding Southampton. A short trip exploring included stumbling upon this amazing mermaid statue, and bottle light fixture. For some ideas on where to antique in Quogue, click here.
4. Have a Campfire, complete with s'mores. There are certain smells that define summer for us. A sweet smelling fragrance, suntan lotion, the beach, and a campfire. Bring back both that smell, and your childhood this summer, by celebrating with a weekend campfire. Marshmellows not included.
5. Hit the Beach. Obviously, no weekend getaway would be complete without a visit to the area's beach. In the Hamptons, many of the amazing beaches require a pass or season permit, but there are some public beaches, which are perfect if you're only coming out for the weekend.
Are you going to visit Quogue this summer??