With the back to school season now here, we have been preparing our children before heading back to school! With my 11-year old starting her first year in middle school – it was even more important that she is prepared with new beginnings, new changes, and meeting new people.
Here are some things we did to prepare our children in heading back to school:
- Clothes and uniforms: Planning ahead to make sure they were within dress code guidelines but still stylish and trendy (Pinterest was a life-saver! We searched under “Tween Fashion”)
- Haircuts updated: we want them to look sharp when they return back on their first day
- Schedules planned: What is their plan before and after school, homework completion, snacks after school, and time they need to be in bed in order for them to get at least 8-hours of sleep.
- Breakfast: The most important meal of the day! Where and what are they are going to eat?
- Paperwork: Making sure their course expectations were completed and signed
- Fees: What fees we had to pay (including gym clothes and towel service) and when.
- Transportation: Bus or drive?
Boys and Girls Club of America (BGCA) and Disney have partnered to launch the Tools for Back to School initiative. This initiative features a pop-quiz style game, where supplies are donated to BGCA for every correct answer you score and we encourage you to play!
BGCA has also partnered with JCPenney – and in August you can join jcp cares and round up your purchase at the register to benefit BGCA. We encourage you to ‘round up’ if you visit jcp during August!
BGCA offers different educational content and tip sheets for parents to download and utilize. You can find them on the left hand side of the BGCA site under the ‘Get Ready’ header. Here are some really neat tips and tricks we found that we utilized when we prepared for the children heading back to school and best ways to manage time: