Hi, I'm Samantha, and I am the new fashion and beauty contributor for TheItMom.com…I know, I am such a lucky girl! I want to tell you a little about myself: I am 20-something mom of four kids ranging from 4 months to 8 years old, a wife, runner, aspiring Fashionista and of course blogger. So now to start my contributorship (is that even a word??) with a bang, I have prepared a step-by-step guide to grown-up Little Mermaid inspired nails.
Lets start with this year's nail trends. This summer's nail trends are varying from bright to nude. The emphasis seems to be leaning toward mellowed out bright such as the sea foams in Mermaids Dream and mellowed out nudes. Nail art is still a major yes, but it's no longer as elaborate as we have seen in recent seasons.
With out further ado :
1. Start With Clean Nails– Remove any old nail polish from your nails. Cut and file your nails. Wash and dry your hands.
2. First Layer: White or Off-White– Put a base color of white or off-white on. I used a simple off-white and put two coats on. Allow the base coat dry completely.
3. Turquoise Tips– Put a turquoise, teal or any other blue/green tip on three nails. I did my pinky finger, ring finger and pointer. Allow the tips to dry completely.
4. Purple– Use a rich, vibrant, glossy purple on two fingers, I did my middle and thumb. Apply a second and possibly third coat for a rich color.
5. Mermaid's Dream– Use Mermaid's Dream by Deborah Lippmann on the three nails with the tips. Mermaids Dream is a fantastic glitter polish all grown up and an absolute for summer 2014!
Every little girl I know wants to be Ariel. Heck, I still want to be The Little Mermaid!! Now, it's okay for my 4 year old daughter to dress up in a purple seashell bra and tail, but I would look a little bit silly walking around with that get up on! My nails are a fantastic place for me to express my inner Princess.
The question now is, what Princess did you want to be growing up? I would love to do another Princess inspired nail tutorial!