I partnered with CVS Beauty on this sponsored campaign, however, all opinions are my own.
It's no surprise that our teeth are one of our biggest assets. Let's face it – a bright, white smile gives others the perception that we take great care of our health and personal image. Unfortunately our teeth start to yellow as we age, which is why whiter teeth can help make you look younger. But I have a confession to make – my teeth aren't naturally white. “So you're telling me that you weren't born with perfectly straight, white teeth…that you didn't wake up like this?!”
Haha, no I didn't wake up looking like this! Personal care and hygiene takes work and good habits!
If you're a busy mom like me, you're probably feeling a little overwhelmed right now thinking of how you're going to fit “improve my personal image” into your calendar. Am I right?! I get that way too, and I understand where you're coming from. Four kids, a doggy named Duke, a full-time career, two full-time businesses, and a mountain of to-do lists make it kinda' hard to prioritize personal image like teeth whitening. But if you start laser focusing on the right habits, it will all come naturally for you, including how to achieve a whiter smile with limited time! Now you're probably wondering what to do next, because you're ready!
Here are my 7 tips on how to achieve a whiter smile with limited time as a busy mom:
1. Brush your teeth AND tongue at least twice daily (morning and night). Okay, sounds so cliche, but whitened teeth alone won't do you any good if you aren't brushing away bacteria, germs, and decay from your teeth. And brushing your tongue also helps to prevent staining because it accumulates bacteria that can eventually lead to discoloration. Good, cleanly hygiene consistently done twice each day will significantly reduce staining and yellowing of teeth over time.
2. Having wine for dinner? Biting into foods that contain calcium, like cheese, can help create a film over your teeth that may help in preventing erosion from the acidity in wine. And if possible, go with red wine instead of white wine, since white wines are more acidic than red wines. The more acidic your food or drink, the more likely it will wear away enamel and cause discoloration.
3. Lipstick and lip gloss with blue-based reds and pinks can make your teeth stylishly white. Colors like cherry reds, berry reds, and wine red colors can make teeth look immediately whiter – like instantly! But stay away from matte colors (and clear colors too), as well as warm lipstick colors that have brown or orange undertones because those tend to make your teeth look more yellow.
4. Wearing bronzer is another excellent makeup trick to making your teeth look whiter. With the contrasts between your skin and teeth, it can really brighten your teeth. But remember that rule of staying away from matte colors for lipstick? Well, it does NOT apply to bronzers! With bronzers, you'll want to stick to a matte finish applying by writing the number “3” along the side of your face (starting at the temples of your face, down to the hollow part of your cheeks and then down to your chin).
5. Use an on-the-go teeth whitening pen when your schedule (or your budget) just doesn't allow for a full teeth whitening treatment. Perfect for travel or on-the-go touch-ups, the new CVS Health™ Toothbrush & Whitening Pen is a quick and easy way to whiten your smile! You can buy the CVS Health™ Toothbrush & Whitening Pen exclusively at CVS/Pharmacy Store or online at www.CVS.com for $14.99 The compact pen’s clinically-proven advanced gel formula visibly whitens teeth in as little as two days and has a pleasant, mint-flavored gel with a high water content and neutral pH level, virtually eliminating tooth sensitivity and discomfort for comfortable whitening. Formulated with 9% hydrogen peroxide to gently and effectively whiten teeth and remove stains, the Whitening Pen can be used safely up to four times daily, and whitens teeth more than 5 shades brighter after only 21 days of use. I always bring my pen with me everywhere I go and apply it even when I get in the car on the way to run errands, or during my breaks at work – super convenient!
6. Foods and drinks to avoid: Avoiding foods like marinara sauce and soy sauce should be avoided because they contain dark pigmentation that can cause staining. And drinks like energy drinks contain acid that have the same effects as eating citrus fruits. TIP: If you absolutely MUST drink these types of acidic beverages, try drinking through a straw to help protect your teeth.
7. Add raw fruits and vegetables to your daily intake of meals. Not only is it good for your body, but eating raw fruits and veggies like celery, apples, carrots and cauliflower because they are high in cellulose and act as natural abrasives that clean teeth and removing surface stains naturally. Raw fruits like strawberries contain a high percentage of folic acid that naturally exfoliates and cleans your teeth.
Which tip do you think would work best for your teeth whitening strategy? Do you have any tips of your own that you would like to share with the rest of our readers? We would love to hear them!