When I was sixteen years old, I thought I was invincible. With my super fast metabolism and smooth supple skin, I often thought I could never gain weight or change. I never understood the hype of the fountain of youth or cared. And I thought I had plenty of time to eventually take care of myself when I'm an adult. My lifestyle and diet consisted of staying up late to study, eating junk food all day, and washing my face when I finally got around to it. Oh, yes, invincible. If my 34-year old self could go back in time and talk to my 16-year old self right now, I'd sit my 16-year old self down to smack some lifestyle sense into her, err, I mean me.
Though we can't turn back time, we could help do an overhaul on how we're living and what we're doing to our bodies in the present moment. Here are 6 techniques you can do now to reduce wrinkles from creeping up on you.
1) Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty (think 6-8 glasses and more, 8-ounces each glass) of water each day is a critical component to smooth, supple skin and keeps you hydrated. Need reminders to drink more? Apps like MyFitnessPal can help you with tracking water intake, food intake, weight and more.
2) Increase consumption of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Omega-3 Fatty Acids keep your skin plump and peanut butter, eggs, salmon, and tuna are a great source of healthy fats (aka Omega-3 Fatty Acids).
3) Incorporate Vitamin C and Antioxidants into your daily regimen. Vitamin C has been scientifically proven to help prevent sun damage and photo-aging while antioxidants can help contribute to healthy skin. Finding supplements or foods that have both will give you a more youthful glow!
4) Avoid exposure to the sun. Living in Las Vegas makes it particularly hard for me to avoid the sun, but studies have shown that sun damage accounts for 95% of our wrinkles. You need to protect your skin with the proper amount of SPF. Your face should be protected with at least SPF 30 and do yourself a favor and purchase one of those super cute Wallaroo hats to cover your face – it's functional and stylish!
5) Use skincare that is made for your skin type. This could help play a major role in slowing down wrinkles. I recommend using a 3-step system that incorporates cleansing, using antioxidants that contain trentinoin and an oil-free moisturizer that has the SPF built in for your face. Visiting your Dermatologist or Aesthetician can help get you on the right track to using the right anti-aging products.
6) If you have specific concerns about those lines between the brows be sure to check out XEOMIN® online for more details. XEOMIN® is a prescription drug that is FDA approved for the treatment of moderate to severe glabellar lines in adults. Plus, you can also receive $100 off! Click here to find out more.> www.XperienceProgram.com
XEOMIN® IMPORTANT CONSUMER SAFETY INFORMATION
Indication & Usage
XEOMIN® is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
XEOMIN® may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of these problems anytime (hours to week) after treatment with XEOMIN®:
Problems with swallowing, speaking, or breathing. These problems can happen hours to weeks after an injection of XEOMIN® if the muscles that you use to breathe and swallow become weak after the injection. Death can happen as a complication if you have severe problems with swallowing or breathing after treatment with XEOMIN®.
People with certain breathing problems may need to use muscles in their neck to help them breathe. These patients may be at greater risk for serious breathing problems with XEOMIN®.
Swallowing problems may last for several months. People who cannot swallow well may need a feeding tube to receive food and water. If swallowing problems are severe, food or liquids may go into your lungs. People who already have swallowing or breathing problems before receiving XEOMIN® have the highest risk of getting these problems.
Spread of toxin effects. In some cases, the effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas of the body away from the injection site and cause symptoms of a serious condition called botulism. The symptoms of botulism include:
o loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body
o double vision
o blurred vision and drooping eyelids
o hoarseness or change or loss of voice
o trouble saying words clearly
o loss of bladder control
o trouble breathing
o trouble swallowing
These problems could make it unsafe for you to drive a car or do other dangerous activities.
Active Ingredient: incobotulinumtoxinA
Purpose: acts on nerve endings in muscles to prevent muscle fibers from contracting
Do not use XEOMIN if you are allergic to XEOMIN® or any of the ingredients in XEOMIN® (see the end of this Medication Guide for a list of ingredients in XEOMIN®), had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin products such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC), or abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) or have a skin infection at the planned injection site.
Ask a doctor before use if you
have a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome)
have allergies to any botulinum toxin product
have had any side effect from any other botulinum toxin in the past
have a breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
have a history of swallowing problems or inhaling food or fluid into your lungs (aspiration)
have bleeding problems
have drooping eyelids
have plans to have surgery
have had surgery on your face
are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if XEOMIN® can harm your unborn baby.
are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if XEOMIN® passes into breast milk.
XEOMIN® is not recommended for use in children younger than 18 years of age.
Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions and all of the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Do not start any new medicines until you have told your doctor that you have received XEOMIN® in the past.
Especially tell your doctor if you
have received any other botulinum toxin product in the last four months
have received injections of botulinum toxin such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC) and abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) in the past. Be sure your doctor knows exactly which product you received. The dose of XEOMIN® may be different from other botulinum toxin products that you have received.
have recently received an antibiotic by injection
take muscle relaxants
take an allergy or cold medicine
take a sleep medicine
take a blood thinner medicine
Ask your doctor if you are not sure if your medicine is one that is listed above.
Possible Side Effects
XEOMIN® can cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. See “Warnings.”
Headache was the most common side effect of XEOMIN® for treatment of glabellar lines.
Other possible side effects include:
discomfort or pain at the injection site
eye problems, including: double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, swelling of your eyelids, and dry eyes. Reduced blinking can also occur. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have eye pain or irritation following treatment.
XEOMIN® may cause other serious side effects including allergic reactions. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to XEOMIN® may include: itching, rash, redness, swelling, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you get wheezing or asthma symptoms, or if you get dizzy or faint.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of XEOMIN®. For more information, talk to your doctor.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
XEOMIN® is a shot (injection) that your doctor will give you.
XEOMIN® is injected into your affected muscles.
Your doctor may change your dose of XEOMIN® until you and your doctor find the best dose for you.
Inactive Ingredients: human albumin and sucrose
Read the Medication Guide before you start receiving XEOMIN® and each time XEOMIN® is given to you as there may be new information. The risk information provided here is not comprehensive. To learn more:
Talk to your health care provider or pharmacist
Visit www.xeominaesthetic.com to obtain the FDA-approved product labeling
Copyright © 2015 Merz North America, Inc. All rights reserved. XEOMIN® is a registered trademark of Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA. BOTOX is a registered trademark of Allergan, Inc. DYSPORT is a registered trademark of Ipsen Biopharm Limited Company. MYOBLOC is a registered trademark of Solstice Neurosciences, Inc.
I have been compensated for the discussion of XEOMIN®.