Jillian Michaels Detox
*UPDATE as of 07/21/2012: Okay so with all the controversy of the 16 oz versus 60 oz Jillian Michaels Detox water, I decided to be a guinea pig and try BOTH (one in June and then this recent trial in July). I lost MORE weight using 16 ounces! I cannot explain it, but I suspect it is from a higher concentration of the ingredients versus water ratio. The difference is about 1 pound (so a total of 5.5 lbs of water weight loss instead of the usual 4.5 lbs). It all comes back, of course, because it flushes out excess water.
The other added benefit of doing 16 ounces is that it is the same size as a bottled water.I used regular bottled water (not distilled), PURE Cranberry Juice that you can buy at Whole Foods or Target for about $4-$7, 1/2 of freshly squeezed lemon (I no longer use lemon juice that you buy in the grocery stores), and organic Dandelion Root Tea bags. I DO NOT boil the water – I just mix them ALL together shake and go!
The color changes to a darker, purplish color and the taste is VERY STRONG. If you have a weak stomach, this may not be an alternative for you. I typically drink this every morning with my vitamins and I down it all as quickly as I can. If I cannot stomach it all, I try to drink at least half and then down the other half before lunchtime.
The new benefits of 16 ounces is that you don’t have to mix it all into a pitcher, and you don’t have to drink a ton of it. Just know that you can do either the 60 oz or the 16 oz and either will work effectively. Whether you want the taste diluted more is up to you. Either way, you should be drinking 6-8 glasses of water everyday to stay hydrated and include the Jillian Michaels Detox water into your schedule!
I did this along with my normal diet and exercise routine. I do not recommend this recipe for those of you who are pregnant or breast feeding, and as always, consult your physician if you have any health issues. One last thing – readers have asked whether you only drink this and fast…and the answer is DEFINITELY NOT. You should and MUST eat – this is not a fasting diet so be sure you are eating too!
Jillian Michaels Detox Review
1. The Dandelion Root Tea Bags are difficult to find and you will most likely need to go to your local organic grocery store (for Las Vegas we went to Whole Foods).
2. Sixty (60) ounces of water each day is A LOT of water. I consumed 8-9 ounces of water every 1.5-2 hours, and expect the need to run to the bathroom every hour too!
3. The taste was fine – the mixture of different juices had a nice hint of flavor. I didn’t really notice a specific taste of the Dandelion Root Tea Bag (which was okay with me!). Other readers think the taste is awful, but I honestly had no issues with it.
4. I noticed a significant difference in my skin and energy level by the third day. My skin was glowing, appeared more supple, and my energy was higher than normal. I also noticed my skin clearing up!
5. All in all – I would definitely do the Jillian Michaels detox again the week before or the week of my cycle. I feel like my body has gone through a bit of a detox and I feel so refreshed! Keep in mind that I balanced what I ate, and worked out 3 times the week of the challenge. Overall health and weight maintenance comes from a mixture and proper balance of exercise and eating healthy. This should in no way be a substitute for dieting and/or food consumption. “Balance those scales!”
If you are anything like me, there is that ONE (1) week each month before “It” happens — *poof* you magically gain an immediate five (5) pounds! I do a double-take on my weight scale and raise my fist in the air in frustration. I work out 3-4 times each week, drink lots of water, and eat as healthy as I possibly can — all that hard work and I gained five (5) pounds?! I was telling my Personal Trainer friend about my situation, and she said one of the major causes is all the water weight and bloat that many women have to deal with right before (and/or during) their cycle.